Preserve & Protect
YOUR VOICE MATTERS.
Cell Towers in our Communities Matter.
Does Salt Spring need another Rogers Tower?
The short answer is “No”.
What You Need To Know
Under the guise of improving emergency services, Rogers wants to build a 131-foot 4G and 5G cell tower in Channel Ridge on Salt Spring Island. Rogers will be using 95% of this tower for commercial cellular. CREST will rent 5% of it for their emergency radio equipment.
Island residents are opposed to this wireless site because it will …
- Be Visually Unattractive
- Be placed close to Homes and a Nature Reserve in one of our island’s most Critical Watersheds
- Be a Fire Hazard (as explained Here) and a Liability Risk
- Affect Our Health and the Wellbeing of Flora and Fauna
- Contribute to Climate Change
- Threaten Pollinators and local Food Security
- Lower Property Values
- Not be Cybersecure
What About Better Cell Service and Access to 911?
Rogers coverage maps show almost full 4G and 5G service on our island already. We can call 911 on our cell phones through any provider.
Given our topography and that there is already a Telus tower at the site, this project will not improve mobile access to 911.
What About CREST?
This tower will benefit Rogers.
CREST – the Capitol Region Emergency Services Telecommunications program – is taxpayer-funded. CREST is meant to be serving us, not big telecom. Although partnering with Rogers may look like a great way for CREST to save money, the long-term health, liability and environmental costs this project will create for us don’t make economic sense.
- WRITE Copy, paste and send This Letter (to download it as a word document Click Here) – or create your own – to our local representatives by July 26, 2021.
4. PRINT & SHARE These Info Cards (Print on 8.5 x 11 page in Black and White)
5. PRINT & SHARE This Petition (Please submit it to the Island Trust Office at 500 Lower Ganges Rd. by 4:00 pm on July 26, 2021.) Or Sign our Petition at Beachside.